Sunday, August 9, 2015

The Perfect Vanilla Cupcake

All cupcakes are not created equal.

It took a long time for me to find the perfect vanilla cupcake.  A perfect cupcake needs to be light, (but not too light), taste good, and look good.  It was hard to find a recipe that had all these 3 qualities.  Something was always missing.
And then I found it, and the best part?  It's such an easy recipe!!  Seriously, if you've ever been scared to try a vanilla cupcake recipe from scratch, this is the one you need to try.  Especially when you pair it with my buttercream icing!

Makes around 16 cupcakes:

Ingredients
Winnie the Pooh Party
-1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
-1 cup granulated sugar
-2 large eggs
-1/3 cup sour cream 
-1/4 cup vegetable oil
-2 tablespoons vanilla extract (you read write tablespoons)-1 3/4 cups cake flour
-1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2/3 cup milk


Method
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
-Line a cupcake pan with baking cups.
-In a large mixing bowl (I use my stand mixer), cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
-Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
-Beat in the sour cream, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
-Gradually add in the cake flour.
-While adding the cake flour, sprinkle over baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
-Stir in the milk, mixing until batter is uniform and smooth.
-Fill baking cups about 2/3 full (or a little less) and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
-Remove from the oven, transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack, and allow to cool to room temperature before frosting or serving.

Tips
-Don't delay in transferring cupcakes to cooling rack.  Be careful not to burn yourself, but when cupcakes are cooled in the muffin tin, the liners will peel away.
-You cannot taste the sour cream once baked.  I personally gag at the smell of sour cream and was hesitant to make this recipe.  So if you're like me, don't be deterred.
-Yes, you can make this all in one bowl.  Makes for easy clean up!

Original recipe from http://www.pastryaffair.com/blog/vanilla-cupcakes.html

2 comments:

  1. I am loving this cupcake recipe. The second time I made them I used 4 eggs white instead of whole eggs and they turned out wonderful. Thanks a Million this is just what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful blog post. This is absolute magic from you! I have never seen a more wonderful post than this one. You've really made my day today with this. I hope you keep this up! Best Stand mixer

    ReplyDelete