Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Simple Vanilla Biscotti

Mmmm.  Yes, I am on a biscotti kick.  Likely because I am consuming much more coffee these days as my children do not believe in sleeping.  And when I am watching my crazy spirited children play, a little treat with my coffee can help me through the day. 
Normally I don't bake things so simple, but I have to keep in my mind that not everyone likes everything smothered in chocolate like I do.  Plus you can really add anything you like to this recipe, or, like me, dip it in chocolate when nobody else is looking.  Calories don't count when your breastfeeding right?
But even naked, this vanilla biscotti hits the spot, and I feel less guilty secretly eating this at 9am.  And if my children do spot me, yes, I will share.  Like my other chocolate biscotti, this is less authentic and easy to eat without being dunked. 

Ingredients:
-1/2 cup of room temperature unsalted butter
-3/4 cup of white sugar
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon of salt
-2 large eggs
-2 cups of all purpose flour
-Optional: Up to 1 1/2 cups of favourite ingredient. Chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit. 

Directions:
1) In a large mixing bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar until until light and fluffy.
2) Sprinkle in baking powder and salt and combine.
3) Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
4) Stir in flour by hand.  Add additional mix ins now if doing so.

5) Cover and chill dough in fridge for 10 minutes.
6) Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
7) Divide dough into two equal parts, and roll into logs (roughly 8 inches long each).  Slightly flatten logs to about a 1/2 inch height.  If you want wider biscotti make your logs shorter.

8) Bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9) Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes.  Then very carefully transfer to a wire rack.
10) 5-10 minutes later.  Transfer to a cutting board.  (They will be very delicate, be careful!)
11) Cutting on a diaganol, cut 1/2 inch wide slices and place back on cookie cheet.
12) Return biscotti to oven and bake for 10minutes.  Flip cookies over and bake for an additional 7-10 minutes.

Cool completely and store in an air tight container.

When I make this I get around 20 pieces.  I'm curious to omit the baking powder to see if it yields a firmer cookie.  I shall test and keep you posted!  Meanwhile I am thinking of my next biscotti, and it is anything but simple. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Recipe adapted from http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/vanilla-biscotti-recipe#reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment